Wednesday, September 7, 2011

In Brett we Trust



Not sure if I missed the memo and I'm playing catch up or if I'm on the cutting edge (I guess the former) but it seems everyone is adding Brettanomyces to their beer these days. Russian River has been doing it for years, with delicious results. The fairly new, and a bit obscure Anchorage Brewing Company seems to be making a name for themselves doing the same. Their limited release  Bitter Monk 2IPA is fermented a second time in french oak chardonnay barrels and then bottled, where it is fermented a third time. The beer weighs in at a surprisingly mellow 100 ibu's nicely balanced out by the brett. The 9% abv is also a surprise in a beer with such a light mouth feel. The Bitter Monk is grape-fruity up front, with a sour finish, topped off with a nice bitter note from the 4 varieties of hops used.  If Anchorage Brewing ever starts running tours I plan on checking it out. If not, I plan on continuing to buy their beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment